A chiefly British term for a set of mechanical bridges. British-style rests differ from most American-style rake bridges in shape , and take several forms: the cross , the spider and the swan (or goose neck ), as well as the rarer and often unsanctioned hook . When used unqualified, the word usually refers to the cross . Rests are used in snooker , English billiards , and blackball .

Picture: swan , spider and cross