A special stick with a grooved, slotted or otherwise supportive end attachment that helps guide the cue stick a stand-in for the bridge hand . It is usually used only when the shot cannot be comfortably reached with a hand bridge . In American English , often shortened to bridge or called a bridge stick ; the term rake is also common.
An entire class of different mechanical bridges exist for snooker , called rests (see that entry for details), also commonly used in blackball and English billiards .
Mechanical bridges have many derogatory nicknames, such as "ladies' aid", "crutch", "granny stick ", and "sissy stick ", because of the perception by many amateur players that they are evidence of weak playing skills or technique (the opposite is actually true).
Small mechanical bridges, that stand on the table surface instead of being mounted on sticks, exist for disabled players who do not have or cannot use both hands or arms.