Thread: Spin Sense?

City
    Syracuse, NY

Spin Sense?

I know you never really want to use english to pocket balls, but for some reason I just need to know the answer to the following question to satisfy my brain.

Using inside or outside english transfers opposite spin onto the Object ball. So doesn't this spin have some kind of effect on how the object ball will roll into the pocket? For example, if you're running a ball down the length of the table into the corner, wouldn't one of the two english variations (inside/outside) cause the object ball to hug the rail, while the opposite english would cause the object ball jet away from the rail?

If so, which one causes the Object ball to hug and which one causes it to jet away from the rail?

Finally, if english transfers opposite spin to the object ball (which I think it does?), wouldn't draw and follow also transfer opposite spin to the object ball, with draw putting forward spin on the object ball and follow putting reverse spin on the object ball?
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Tom Simpson's Avatar
    City
    Eastern USA
    Yes, you do get a small amount of opposite spin on the OB from transfer. The amount of transfer maxes out at straight in, and falls off with angle.

Spin effects off a cushion max out at perpendicular to the rail, and fall off with the angle of approach. An OB running close to parallel with the long rail is not brushing the cushion at enough of an angle for the sidespin to act as either running or reverse. However, rail-side spin when the OB hits the visible jaw can help pocket the ball.

What is sometimes thought to be "get-in english" is actually rail-side spin with a little elevation. The elevation causes the CB to curve toward the rail, while the slight brushes with the cushion may not remove all the spin, sometimes allowing the CB to dive toward the cushion more than once. Looks like rail-hugging english, so I guess we could say it is rail-hugging english. But it doesn't hug the rail because of ball-cushion phenomena - it hugs the rail because the elevated stick tilted the axis of rotation of the CB.

Re transfer of roll and backspin: Yes, it's quite possible and useful to use backspin on the CB to encourage the OB to immediately roll. Maxes out at straight in and falls off rapidly with angle of approach. However, the opposite (roll on the CB causing backspin on the OB) does not happen. Too hard to break the friction with the cloth.

And while we're on it, there is no "forward spin" (peeling out) in the CB, no matter how high you strike it, and there's no forward spin in OB from being hit by the CB. The best you can do is immediate roll.
    Tom Simpson
    Master Instructor PBIA & ACS
    Instructional Columnist Inside Pool, Professor Q-Ball, Inside English

National Billiard Academy
    614 975 8337
    www.PoolClinics.comxxxxTom@PoolClinics.com
    "Beat People with a Stick!"

3-Day Weekend Intensives: Columbus, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Albany, New Orleans, Baltimore, Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Virginia Beach, NYC, Chicago
    Quote Quote

City
    Syracuse, NY
    Thank you,
    It is the elevated stick, I've always thought the English was what caused it to hug or jump off the rail
    Quote Quote