Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many intentional pocket misses in 8 ball?

Banned
    City
    detroit

How many intentional pocket misses in 8 ball?

In 8 ball I have the 1 ball at the corner pocket behind the head string and my 5 ball on the foot string spot with my opponent's 8 ball frozen directly behind it. If I make the 1 ball I won't have a shot on my 5 ball. All I can do is break the 5 away from the 8 and hope there's no shot on his 8 ball. Instead I intentionally tap the 1 ball into the rail for a safety. He cannot see the 8 and tries a bank to hit his 8 but misses. I have ball-in-hand and gently tap the 1 ball again into the rail near the pocket. My opponent goes for the bank again and misses again - which gives me ball-in-hand again. We repeat this routine about 6 or 8 more times until he finally connects with the bank but hits my 5 ball. With ball-in-hand I sink the 5, the 1 and then the 8 for the win. What's wrong, if anything, with this method of play? How many times am I allowed an intentional miss? How many times is my opponent allowed to miss hitting the 8 ball giving me B.I.H.?

Billiard Instructor Tom Simpson's Avatar
    City
    Eastern USA
    In most rule sets these days, three consecutive fouls is loss of game. Game was over after the third foul.
    Tom Simpson
    Master Instructor PBIA & ACS
    Instructional Columnist Inside Pool, Professor Q-Ball, Inside English

National Billiard Academy
    614 975 8337
    www.PoolClinics.comxxxxTom@PoolClinics.com
    "Beat People with a Stick!"

3-Day Weekend Intensives: Columbus, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Albany, New Orleans, Baltimore, Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Virginia Beach, NYC, Chicago

Several different sets of rules for this depending on the league or governing organization, such as the BCA or WPA, but for the most part they are all the same in 8...

Billiard Congress of America (8 Ball) -
    STALEMATED GAME. If, after 3 consecutive turns at the table by each player (6 turns total), the referee judges (or if no referee, both players agree) that attempting to pocket or move an object ball will result in loss of game, the balls will be reracked with the original breaker of the stalemated game breaking again. The stalemate rule may only be used when there are only two object balls and the 8-ball remaining on the table. PLEASE NOTE: Three consecutive fouls by one player is not a loss of game.

World Pool/Billiard Association (8 Ball) -

STALEMATED GAME
    If, after 3 consecutive turns at the table by each player (6 turns total), the referee judges that attempting to pocket
    or move an object ball will result in loss of game, the balls will be re-racked with the original breaker of the
    stalemated game breaking again. The stalemate rule may be applied regard-less of the number of balls on the
    table.
    Please Note: Three consecutive fouls by one player in 8-ball is not a loss of game.

* The only real rule that seems to change between different leagues/organizations is the number of balls on the table before a stalemate is allowed to be called. For the most part though, it should NOT matter how many balls are left.
    KJ Williams
    kj@cuesportbilliardacademy.com
    Master Instructor
    CueSport Billiard Academy
    (309) 228-POOL

W: CueSportBilliardAcademy.com
    F: fb.com/CueSportBilliardAcademy
    T: twitter.com/poolinstruction

Banned
    City
    detroit
    Was I fouling when I intentionally did not pocket the one ball 6-8 times? I understand that my opponent was fouling by not hitting his intended 8 ball the same number of times.

No, you were not committing a foul by intentionally not pocketing the ball. However, your opponent could have also elected to foul by just pocketing your 1 ball as well if he wanted to and left you with fewer options. That is assuming your 5 ball didn't have a pocket and you couldn't easily make it with ball in hand.
    KJ Williams
    kj@cuesportbilliardacademy.com
    Master Instructor
    CueSport Billiard Academy
    (309) 228-POOL

W: CueSportBilliardAcademy.com
    F: fb.com/CueSportBilliardAcademy
    T: twitter.com/poolinstruction

Banned
    City
    detroit
    Yes KJ. Good point. The guys I play with are mostly beginners and/or long time 'ball bangers' and not up on pro pool rules which I try to impart as we go along. Ball in hand and intentional fouls are still weird concepts to them.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast