Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drills vs Play

City
    LA , California

Drills vs Play

All that time and hard work and tons of hours of practice PAT1 ,PAT2 are mastered ready to start PAT3 but when i start playing against some of my friends my game disappears and i don't do sow well is it because i practice a lot and spend less time in tournaments ?

Drills are a terrific way to train yourself how to make shots, gain position and play safe, but there is much more to improving your pool game than scoring high percentages on repetitive drills exercises. Yes, spending more time playing tournaments will help to strengthen your mental game by giving you more seasoning as a player. There are many different types of practice you need to engage in order to improve your game besides practicing drills by yourself. Playing with your friends is helpful, but you also need more competition against people you do not know, such as league and tournament play to build confidence. Once you develop enough confidence in yourself and all of the work you have dedicated to your game with practicing the PAT shots, then you will start to see increased improvement. Another thing worth mentioning is that if you have flaws in your fundamentals, then even with practicing 10 hours a day, you will have a difficult time raising your skill ability. If you are not certain about your fundamentals being 100% sound, then you're only beating a dead horse with all the time you develop to drills. If that is the case, then I would highly recommend you cutting your losses with the PAT books for the time being and get some professional instruction first by someone who you are confident will be honest and teach you proper mechanics. I do not mean the closest 'instructor' or top player in your area either, because far too many people think this is the easiest answer and solution and end up miles from reaching their potential as a top level championship player.
    KJ Williams
    kj@cuesportbilliardacademy.com
    Master Instructor
    CueSport Billiard Academy
    (309) 228-POOL

W: CueSportBilliardAcademy.com
    F: fb.com/CueSportBilliardAcademy
    T: twitter.com/poolinstruction

Billiard Instructor Mark Finkelstein's Avatar
    City
    New York, NY
    Improvement in pool, as in any sport is a blend of three things; instruction and fundamentals, drills and practice, and competition. Then repeat by taking the lessons from your competitions and going to your instructor to learn what needs to be improved, practice that and go compete again.

It sounds to me that you are big on the practice piece, but missing the whole picture. Pool is really too hard to learn on your own.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Mark Finkelstein

House Pro, Slate Plus 54 W 21st Street, NYC
    ACS Level 4 Instructor
    BCA Master Instructor
    Certified PAT Tester
    Instructional Columnist, NYC Grind
    mfpool.com

City
    LA , California
    Thank you KJ my fundamentals are fine i always warm up or spend 10 min on fundamentals plus i went to Ken Dohertys Snooker Academy in Dublin Ireland where they chiseled my fundamentals to perfection . I think when i practice i concentrate more by my self alone and when i play against my friends i am a bit in a hurry sow i decided to check that i went and i played again but this time i took my time and i was amazed how i did i ran 7 racks from the brake of 8 ball and i felt i can ran more but i came down a little and gave my friend to win 3 racks and my friend is a advanced player .Its time for me to move from play to a tournament play . THANK you KJ for your advice i will keep it in mind.

You are very welcome. Competition with close friends doesn't always bring out that true competitive spirit or 'killer instinct', so it is vital to a player's success that they get seasoned and experience as much competitive play as possible to bring their mental game to the same level as their physical ability. There are tons of players who can hit any shot or run racks while playing on their own and without pressure, but that requires no mental game strength whatsoever. Once you get your physical ability to a certain point, the mental aspect of the game is all that matters between success and failure.
    KJ Williams
    kj@cuesportbilliardacademy.com
    Master Instructor
    CueSport Billiard Academy
    (309) 228-POOL

W: CueSportBilliardAcademy.com
    F: fb.com/CueSportBilliardAcademy
    T: twitter.com/poolinstruction

City
    LA , California
    Thanks i just learned something new from your advice thank you sow much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast