Thread: advice on play with my dominant hand

City
    quincy IL

advice on play with my dominant hand

I Am a odd one I think in that I learned to play left handed pool when I was young. I Never knew this for most my life and thought if it works who cares. I have hit a platue due to fundamental errors in back my back stroke that cause me to miss as well as being unable to see the shots at times. I can be very accurate one session then the opposite the next. I should also point out that im right eye dominant on top of shooting left handed. Should I just start over and relearn with the right hand and eye over the cue or fix the issues with my current play.
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Dave Manasseri's Avatar
    City
    Queens, New York City
    Terry,

Much depends on how long you've been playing, your initial investment. However, its tough to comment on a personal decision like this without us seeing you shoot. Posting a clip might help, but I'd still suggest seeing an instructor.
    Dave Manasseri

BCA Instructor
    (917)647-7122
    42-29 77th Street
    Elmhurst NY, 11373
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Tom Simpson's Avatar
    City
    Eastern USA
    I agree with Dave, the longer you've played, the harder this change will be. But I'd also suggest you TRY shooting right-handed for a couple of hours and see whether it feels more natural and whether you begin to get decent results.

They type of inconsistency you mention is common among all players, so your problems may not be handedness. It's very hard to figure this out yourself. That's why players come to pool school.
    Tom Simpson
    Master Instructor – PBIA & ACS
    Instructional Columnist – Inside Pool, Professor Q-Ball, Inside English

National Billiard Academy
    614 975 8337
    www.PoolClinics.comxxxxTom@PoolClinics.com
    "Beat People with a Stick!"

3-Day Weekend Intensives: Columbus, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Albany, New Orleans, Baltimore, Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Virginia Beach, NYC, Chicago
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Rod Gustafson's Avatar
    City
    Austin, TX
    Terry,
    You are not odd/crazy/unusual. I am severely left eye dominant and shoot right handed. There are not many reputable instructors who focus the dominant eye or spend a lot of time on trying to align shooters bodies to get the dominant eye over the cue. You do thousands of things in your life without having to close one eye or think about which eye is the stronger. Having said that, there are a number of people who make their living teaching exactly that idea.

Are they wrong? I don't know but I have never seen one of those people explain how to do get the dominant eye over the cue stick for someone like me or you (we shoot with one hand and have an opposite dominant eye). It can't see how this would be easy. Or how you could prevent from causing a major mis-alignment with the shooting arm (forearm can't hang straight down under your elbow…the stroking arm would have to be turned under your chest with your elbow out in space).

The next time you see Earl Strickland watch him closely. His cue is not even under his face, it is under his right ear. Is he wrong? A guy who has missed about 20 balls in the last 20 years… of course not. You also see great players people shoot jump shots with great accuracy while they have their arms way off to the side and under neither eye. I can't do that, but they just learn to see the shot and shoot the shot with their eyes off to the side.

I think people see with both eyes and shoot with both eyes in play. It is important to find a place where your aim is locked in with the cue stick usually under some part of your face.

You can mess around with your alignment. For example, you could try turning your front shoulder (in your case your right shoulder) more towards the line of the shot. You can experiment with this. Start by extending your bridge arm farther away from your body…stretching it out and getting your right cheek almost against your right shoulder. Think of the image of what a javelin thrower looks like before the last step and throw.

The point is, you need to find a place for your cue stick to hang in a relaxed position where you can see the line and shoot right down that line. You want to swing the cue stick straight down the shot line, not muscle it around on a curved path.

This may require some help from someone who knows what they are doing. This is because you can't see yourself and can't see what your body is doing when you are shooting. They might need to videotape you so your can identify the see the small, quick adjustments and complexities of your stroke. Most players, even very, good players don't have a clue how they do what they do. It is unlikely that the "boys" down at the pool hall can help you analyze this stuff. So I will echo what the other instructors have already said, find a qualified instructor.

The PBIA web site is a good place to start. Find an instructor in your area. Ask them questions. It's your money. Be sure to ask them if they know how to use a video camera to analyze your stroke. Seeing yourself is a powerful tool. If you have any problems finding a qualified instructor, ask any of us at this site and we can probably help you. Good hunting.
    Rod Gustafson
    BCA Master Instructor / PAT 3 Examiner

12231 Forsythe Drive
    Austin, Texas 78759
    512-835-2042
    rodgustafson50@gmail.com
    Quote Quote