Thread: Problem when Jacked up over a ball

City
    Ottawa Canada

Problem when Jacked up over a ball

Hi,
    I have been in a league for a few years now and I am generally a pretty decent shot when I can get my cue level. When I have to bridge over another ball I consistently tend to miss to the left of the pocket (I shoot right) unless I overcompensate and miss to the right . Although I don't understand the mechanics. I am sure that this has something to do with the fact that my elbow/arm is out to the side but I can't seem to get comfortable unless my arm is out to the side in this situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fludz
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Tom Simpson's Avatar
    City
    Eastern USA
    Two possible issues:

1. As you elevate (as a right-hander), your head/eyes gradually move toward your left relative to the stick. This means your eyes are not where you are accustomed to being, so you are seeing your aim incorrectly. Remember to move your head over the stick when you elevate.

2. You mentioned you are going sidearm on elevated shots. This takes the stick away from your sight line, may cause you to tilt your head, and makes your tip swerve side-to-side. I wrote an article about ways to elevate and keep things in the vertical plane of the shot. Anyone who would like a copy of that article, just send me an email and mention "elevate to the moon." This article also introduces the Shoulder Stroke, invented by me.
    Tom Simpson
    Master Instructor PBIA & ACS
    Instructional Columnist Inside Pool, Professor Q-Ball, Inside English

National Billiard Academy
    614 975 8337
    www.PoolClinics.comxxxxTom@PoolClinics.com
    "Beat People with a Stick!"

3-Day Weekend Intensives: Columbus, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Albany, New Orleans, Baltimore, Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Virginia Beach, NYC, Chicago
    Quote Quote

City
    Ottawa Canada
    Since reading your post I've been working on lining up as I would for a typical shot and then raising my hand/arm only, focusing on keeping my head and body stationary. Seems to have helped somewhat but still needs some practice. As I was working on this, I realized that I may have also been raising the cue more than necessary for most situations. Keeping the cue lower and hitting higher on the cue ball has also helped somewhat.

Thanks for the advice
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Dave Manasseri's Avatar
    City
    Queens, New York City
    Just to add, I notice some players have trouble bridging over balls because they don't realize its only the lower portion of the tip that makes contact.

One other thing to check: The smaller your bridge hand is, the closer it should be to the blocking ball. With my bridge hand even an inch away from a blocker it would be tough for me to bridge over it cleanly.
    Dave Manasseri

BCA Instructor
    (917)647-7122
    42-29 77th Street
    Elmhurst NY, 11373
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Rod Gustafson's Avatar
    City
    Austin, TX
    Fludz,
    Read Tom's article. Once you are able to get your arm under the stick (instead of out to the side) that will probably solve the problem (with a little practice). Some other helpful hints: (1) keep your eyes on your line of stroke as you raise up, (2) take a couple "preview" strokes to be sure you are stroking on line, (3) stop your tip at the Cue Ball, and (4) focus entirely on striking the Cue Ball and keep your eyes on the Cue Ball as you shoot (as opposed to looking at the Object Ball). Good luck.
    Rod Gustafson
    BCA Master Instructor / PAT 3 Examiner

12231 Forsythe Drive
    Austin, Texas 78759
    512-835-2042
    rodgustafson50@gmail.com
    Quote Quote