Thread: Elbow drop

City
    LA , California

Tip Elbow drop

Is it ok for the elbow to drop in pool on a follow through? When i went to a Ken Dohertys Snooker Academy in Dublin they teach that the hand needs to hit your chest . I just watched some pool matches some player do drop their elbow .When my hand hits the chest my shots are all made but ones i need to draw (long draw ob is far away from cb) hitting the chest doesn't seems enough .
    Quote Quote

City
    LA , California
    I got it its my back pause sometimes i forget to do a back pause .A perfect draw with a pause and going through till my hand hits the chest .
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Tom Simpson's Avatar
    City
    Eastern USA
    If you leave your upper arm quiet (no elbow drop, just the forearm swinging in the elbow joint), your tip strikes the CB exactly where it was at set (tip at CB). This is really valuable. Also, if your grip hand is where your forearm is perpendicular to the stick when you strike the ball, your stick is as flat at impact as it will ever be for that stroke. More good stuff. If your hit follows into your chest, you probably did this well. (The chest hit occurs way after impact with the CB, so it's not a factor.)

If you drop your elbow AFTER impact with the CB, no problem. The ball is long gone. But this takes great timing. If you drop it early, your tip is rising and will not touch the CB where you originally intended. On higher speed shots, such as big draw shots, many players will allow their elbow come to down some rather than working so hard to leave it quiet while hitting at high speed. But the great players have that happen AFTER impact.

And yes, you see zillions of great players who drop their elbow. That's because they learned to play without professional stroke training, so they did what they saw everyone else do, the natural human move of dropping the elbow. Fixing the elbow in space is not easy to learn, as it's not the natural way to use our arm joints, but it is the smartest way to play.
    Tom Simpson
    Master Instructor PBIA & ACS
    Instructional Columnist Inside Pool, Professor Q-Ball, Inside English

National Billiard Academy
    614 975 8337
    www.PoolClinics.comxxxxTom@PoolClinics.com
    "Beat People with a Stick!"

3-Day Weekend Intensives: Columbus, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Albany, New Orleans, Baltimore, Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Virginia Beach, NYC, Chicago
    Quote Quote