Thread: Best "Playable Cues"

City
    Allentown, PA

Best "Playable Cues"

I am looking to replace my current cue, older Lucasi w/314 shaft and Morri medium tip.

I would like as many opinions as possible from the experts as to what they consider the top cue, LD shaft and tip combinations. I have come to realize 'Fancy" does not pocket balls. I am looking for "Playability"

I am currently an APA 7 and recent "Top Gun" 8-Ball winner for my league. My preferred games is 14.1 then 8-Ball. Starting to gain interest in One Pocket. Table choice is Diamond 9' & Gold Crown 9' but most of my practice is on a Brunswick 8' and league is 7', 8' & 9'

Thank You for your help!
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Rod Gustafson's Avatar
    City
    Austin, TX
    poolply82,
    I had access to a bunch of different cues in the early 80's. I bought several low end cues and worked my way up. It came down to Joss vs Schon. The Joss cues I tried all had a harder "hit." So, I went with the Schon. I have been playing with the same (fairly plain) Schon cue since 1984.
    Things have changed over the years. Different shafts and tips have hit the market. Almost every time a new shaft or tip comes out, I buy it and give it a test run.

So here I am all these years later perhaps a total embarrassment to the cue makers of the world. As I said I am using the same low end Schon (model R1 Runde factory made) since 1984. Like you, I use a Predator 314 shaft and a medium Moori tip. I teach a pool clinic every week and still have access to different cues and equipment. I still have found little reason to make a complete change.
    If I ever do change it will likely be to a Schuler cue. I mainly play 3 cushion billiards these days and my carom cue is a Schuler. In my opinion, Schuler has the best joint of any cue I have seen. They are rock solid, no gaps or spaces in the joint. It is like having a 1 piece cue. I have a pool shaft for this cue and it plays differently than my Schon. It might take a few weeks to adjust to these differences but I may actually make the change some day. I have been told that the Schuler "factory" cues (labeled on the cue as S.L.C. "Schuler Legacy Cues") that were made after Ray Schuler death are not as well made. I may go find an older Schuler that Ray Schuler actually made if I go this route.
    Anyway, those are my personal experiences with cue hunting. If you can find some clinic, tourney or other gathering of pool players you might ask around to see if you can hit a couple balls with various cues. My experience is that players don't mind at all. Good luck.
    Rod Gustafson
    BCA Master Instructor / PAT 3 Examiner

12231 Forsythe Drive
    Austin, Texas 78759
    512-835-2042
    rodgustafson50@gmail.com
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Dave Manasseri's Avatar
    City
    Queens, New York City
    I think you are on the right track, playability is all that matters. Choosing a cue/tip combo is such a personal choice though, you never know what you might like. Most important thing is to remember to try before you buy.

I would try out the top selling L/D shafts, as many as you can. Some vendors will allow a test drive if you can return unchalked. Like Rod, I have an old schon R-1 myself. But, I paired mine with a Z-2 (with stock tiger everest tip). I find the Everest tip similar to a moori med. Other than schon I prefer predator cues.
    Dave Manasseri

BCA Instructor
    (917)647-7122
    42-29 77th Street
    Elmhurst NY, 11373
    Quote Quote

City
    Allentown, PA
    Gentlemen,thank you for your replies! Played with Predator but never had a chance to try a Schon. I'm sure one will show up someday. Also read some good things about OB ... but again, never had a chance to try one.

Rod - You mentioned you use a 314 shaft. Is it a 314 or a 314-2? I'm using a 314. What is the difference with the 314-2?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote

Billiard Instructor Rod Gustafson's Avatar
    City
    Austin, TX
    I have used both the 314 and the 314 -2. Not much difference that I could detect. I didn't weight the 314-2. The 314 weights about 6/10 of an oz less than a regular Schon shaft.
    Rod Gustafson
    BCA Master Instructor / PAT 3 Examiner

12231 Forsythe Drive
    Austin, Texas 78759
    512-835-2042
    rodgustafson50@gmail.com
    Quote Quote